Saturday, November 7, 2009

I really do like it here

Notice Dan way in the back drilling holes with an auger.
with a borrowed pick-up and a rented auger, 52 holes later, we have the beginnings of the deer fence for our garden and orchard. we are getting excited.

the snow and cold weather was short-lived


so this week we decided to go ahead and get started on the deer fence for the orchard. notice how tall the fence posts are. we are serious because around here, the deer are serious.


Janey and Will were a HUGE help, as you can imagine












One thing I hate about blogs is that sometimes I really wear my heart on my shirt sleeve when I get emotional like my last post. so I'm going to try and make up for it, because there really have been some great things about being here. Over labor day, my family was here and my mom and sisters taught me how to can. i haven't done it since i was a kid and couldn't remember the first thing about how to do it, but i am living in apple country and have had apples coming out of my ears. everyone gives you apples around here, so thankfully my mom taught me what to do with it all. and it's been really fun for me. but I had so much that I ended up freezing alot to can another day. just can't do it all at once, it was so much apple pulp and juice. So far I have made oooodles of apple butter, apple sauce and everyones favorite: apple strawberry jam. so put your order in now for which you would prefer for Christmas:)

7 comments:

LGH said...

Honey, your home looks like a dream place to raise kids. I know this for sure; they have dream parents. Your apple stuff looks mightfy fine.

Libby said...

I'm putting in my order for a jar of apple butter - I've never tried any and it sounds wonderful! Looks like you and Dan are "building" a great life in Missoula!!

Libby said...

They all sound wonderful. Have you thought about adding apple pie filling to the list? You make such wonderful apple pies:)
Gavin

rachel said...

sounds like you guys are really settling in.And I can see how you love it there those moutains and land is amazing.

Stef said...

Ohhh, fun. I so need to learn how to can. What a great skill that is vanishing. Also, I can't believe how big Janey is getting. What a cutie!!

Christa said...

Looks like those deer are going to have their work cut out for them! It's so fun to see your pictures and to know that you are settling in a bit. ABQ misses you too, but I'll bet that a year from now you would miss Montana if you had to leave. Those first few months after a move are always so hard! Hang in there!

Libby said...

Glad you are happier Honey. Those apples and the preserving remind me of some of my past experiences. Glad your mom could help you out.
Animals and gardens are a ageless struggle. We have an original letter from a Rolfson, pioneer to Raymond. They crated their chickens and took them to town in the back of the wagon so the critters wouldn’t kill and eat them while the people were away. They also planted their garden in grain tank (wagon) to keep animals from eating the plants.
Dan, remember the pioneers with reverence when you realize they built miles of fence, digging those holes with a shovel. Wish I had the know how to add some of your blog comments into the Messenger, after receiving permission from you folks first, of course. Love you all. Grandma Mac