Sunday, November 8, 2009

Grandma Redd - We've done it!!!


Ten years ago, a friend gave me this African violet. (It was a centerpiece at her son's wedding and I helped decorate.) This is the third time it has bloomed and each time I think of my grandmother. She grew African violets and they never bloomed. She had a friend that grew them and hers bloomed all the time. Grandma Redd tried everything her friend suggested without any success. So each time my little plant blooms, I think, "This is for you Grandma Redd. We did it!"

3 comments:

LGH said...

Libby, this is so besautiful. I have NEVER been successful at theseAfrican violets either, so I'm glad you have such a green - or in this case - purple thumb.

Hey, the speaker in our stake conference talked about your (which is hers also) relative: Lemuel Redd and how he helped settle Southern Utah. Of course, Allen and I immediately thought of you and your marvelous sisters and mother!

HFG said...

Libby, it doesn't surprise me at all, you are so good with plants.
Gavin, I actually did do apple pie filling and apple leather, I just didn't think to mention them because they weren't canned. I froze the pie apples. :)love, honey

Libby said...

What a sweet story. I remember those violets too, and Mom’s struggles with them. Maureen is waging a war with her violet, but it only rewards her with magnificent leaves.
(Posted for Grandma Mac)