Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lessons Learned while trying to sell a House

Lesson Number 1: when people come to walk through your home, they spend approximately 30 seconds in your house, So why clean for 3 hours just for that? (I walk around the block and they pull out of the driveway and leave when I'm only at the third or fourth house.)

Lesson Number 2: when people come to look at your home, they usually know within the first 8 seconds wether or not they would be willing to buy it, So why clean for that? (just clean the first eight seconds of the house:)

Lesson Number 3: when you have four kids, it's not only sort of impossible to keep it clean, it's officially proven to be completely impossible and it's also known that you could Die trying, So Why even try?

Lesson Number 4: when trying to sell a house, all your friends have advice and stories for you. Most of them go like this, "the one day that my house was a total mess and trashed was the day we finally had an offer" SO WHY CLEAN? (I've heard this story or a similar one four times now in the last month) I'm taking it as a sign.

Lesson Number 5: why stage it for someone else, when you're the one who bought it so you could live in it. So why clean for them? Believe me, they don't appreciate it.

Lesson Number 6: I now know what it's like to be OCD about cleanliness and I absolutely hate it. what a boring life. You could spend your entire life doing something you hate. I'd much rather practice my guitar or read a good book.

Lesson Number 7: the person around the corner has never put a dime into their house or any home improvement projects and it will sell before yours that you've put lots of sweat and money into for some weird unknown reason. (probably because they can list it at a lower price as they didn't spend anything on it, they don't have anything to lose)

Lesson Learned: There's NO REASON TO CLEAN! Thanks for letting me vent!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You really tired of cleaning for others. I think you house looks just fine every time I go. Don't worry You'll sell it

shelley said...

Those are good Honey. Seriously. Selling a house has got to be one of the most stressful things we do. Maybe if you don't sell it's a sign that you can't LEAVE US! :)

Dustin and Tara said...

Those lessons are appreciated all the more by those who have been there! The house we sold 6 months ago was sold to people in a really weird situation. I was at work when the couple came to look at it. When their agent came to the front door with the couple, Tara said, "Come on in. I will grab the kids and leave through the garage." She ran back in the house to grab something she forgot and when she came out, the husband was in the garage reading numbers off the side of the furnace to his wife who was writing them down???? Tara called me up and said, "I don't think it's them. They barely looked inside the house..." then recounted the furnace story. Apparently some people look at different things than we look for when buying a house!! Good luck with a quick sale!

Dustin

Stef said...

Love it! I am not even trying to sell a house and I am going to take your advice. Why clean!!